Tuesday, October 13, 2009

   Dr.Derek was right-I am going mad. It is a Saturday morning and the previous night I had camped by the side of the River "Blue", another river after I had abandoned the Neckar River somewhere east of Heidelberg. It is damp and chilly today, I finally wore my blue balaclava for the first time.And my fingerless gloves are too cold-time to get out the full ones.Why are all the supermarkets closed through many kilometers of outlying towns-is it Sunday already? No, my camera clock/ calender assures me it's Saturday. I finally get to the large town of Ulm and here's the crazy part-I paid, PAID, 4 Euros for the priviledge of climbing the 763 tight, cramped, continuous vertical spiralling stone steps to the top.It happens that the whole weekend is a national holiday- 20 years since Oct.3,1979 since Germany became unified. Didn't President Reagan have something to do with this? Tear down this wall, no, that was Berlin and Gorbachev.
   I took my first step into the tiny staircase and for at least 20 minutes bells were constantly ringing, it was quite the exhilarating climb. At the top, my first view of the Donau, the Danube, which I hope to follow for quite a way.When I returned finally to the bottom, a bride was getting out of her limo and a wedding was about to start in the main sanctuary.
   Bicycling out of the city in the late afternoon I was unsuccessful in finding any food for dinner-I'm living hand -to-mouth, so I picked 2 ears of corn in one of the thousand cornfields.Well this corn is a lot tougher and more golden than our corn. Even after boiling it on my propane stove for 25 minutes it was so chewy I wasn't sure - I was a malcontented masticator, know what I mean Vern? I was famished and worried about my digestion, but no problem. Next day, Sunday, no food stores open, only the overpriced gas station markets. I believe I dined at McDonald's that evening and had 3 "Euroknallers", 2 chickenburgers and a cheeseburger, plus a chocolate sundae. It was great.

1 comment: