Thursday, October 29, 2009

Bright Lights Big City
  So here I am in Budapest, just cleaned up at the hostel, it is getting late, I need a KEBAB. On the big pedestrian street two women accost me, Didn't we see you last night at such-and-such bar? No, I was probably in my tent. They are very friendly, Esther has bleach blonde hair, Petra is a university student, they are chatting away about movies with cute accents. Casablanca- director is Sukor, Cukor,  means sugar in Hungarian, Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergmann, this favorite movie of Petra and me, and so on. Since my mother resembled Ingrid Bergmann, only more beautiful, I was of course intrigued. I'm thinking Glad I shaved and wore this Tommy Hilfiger shirt.Well, before I knew it, I was on an elevator about to enter a fancy restaurant with candlelight, wine glasses on the tables, loud music, WAIT, all I want is a fast food Doner kebab,  sorry girls, I'm out of here, got a plane to catch. I escaped. This would have cost me way more Forints than I wanted to spend, I'm sure they wanted me to buy them dinner. So get this, the kebab shop had just closed down and it was over to the McDonalds for some cheeseburgers. Sometimes it is better to just have a memory of what might have happened that evening.

2 comments:

  1. Ben I am cheering you on! Not many people I know are willing to live life to the fullest. Your trip has mad me re-examine my own sense of playing it safe. I'm even thinking of making an onion sandwich! Hey how can I buy you a beer? Do you have a Pay-Pal account?

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sydne, Matt & HollandNovember 6, 2009 at 6:23 PM

    Great photos! And fantastic stories! Looks like you're enjoying the adventure. Thanks for keeping us "updated" as you go :) Safe travels!!
    Sydne, Matt & Holland

    ReplyDelete